mandag den 31. august 2009

Scents of the City


Da jeg var i New York første gang som en lille knægt (og med lugtesansen i behold) synes jeg at der lugtede rigtigt grimt ... Tænk sig at skulle leve i det hver dag? Senere som voksen har jeg været knap så meget besværet af lugten, men generalt set så lugter en storby bare ikke godt ...
/Sik


When I first visited NY as a little boy (and still having a fine nose capability) I thought it the smell was awfull ... Image having to live with that everyday? Later as a grown up I have not been as troubled with the smell but anyhow the smell of big cities aren't just not good ...
/Sik


Quote

New York secretes its fullest range of smells in the summer; disgusting or enticing, delicate or overpowering, they are liberated by the heat. So one sweltering weekend, I set out to navigate the city by nose. As my nostrils led me from Manhattan’s northernmost end to its southern tip, some prosaic scents recurred (cigarette butts; suntan lotion; fried foods); some were singular and sublime (a delicate trail of flowers mingling with Indian curry around 34th Street); while others proved revoltingly unique (the garbage outside a nail salon). Some smells reminded me of other places, and some will forever remind me of New York.



Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/08/29/opinion/20090829-smell-map-feature.html?th&emc=th

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar