GeoWeb eller WebGIS ...
GeoWeb or WebGIS ...
Sean Gillies has problems with GeoWeb as a term. Others have been getting annoyed about the professional vs. amateur labels.
Names can be such limiting things, especially when we’re experiencing something (or someone) for the first time. I think we should apply names loosely and focus more on the use-cases that desribe actors and what they do.
So here is a rough cut of a a use case I’d like to see supported some day.
- Web Host - hosts geodata and applications
- GIS Programmer - writes geoprocessing components.
- DataVendor - sells data services through a
- Web HostAnalyst - builds models from components and datasets
- Viewer - runs web apps built by Analysts.
- Advertiser - chooses web apps to advertise on.
Read more: http://ambergis.wordpress.com/2008/08/08/a-geoweb-use-case-for-lack-of-a-better-name/