onsdag den 16. juli 2008

Spatial “Habits of Mind” In Practice, Part I: A Day in the Life of A Spatial Thinker

Spatial tankegang. Vi gør det hele tiden, vi tænker over det, men sjældent bliver det visuelt andet end inde i hovedet. GIS som moduleringværktøj ville kunne vise os det vi tænker i nye sammenhænge og hjælpe os med at agere 'GISuelt'. 80% af al information har en spatial reference, med andre ord har størstedelen af de ting vi omgiver os med, de ting vi snakker om, de ting vi tænker på en spatial reference og dermed et GIS mæssigt apsekt. Og så er der nogen der mener at de resterende 20% er blot information man har glemt i denne sammenhæng ;-)

Spatial thinking. We do it all the time. We think it but visually it rarely leave the inside of our heads. GIS as a modulation tool will enable us to see what we think in new contexts and will help us to act 'GISually'. 80% of all information has a spatial reference. In other words most of all the things around us (including yourself) and what we talk / think about could be spatially referenced - could be made into GIS. Some say that the remaining 20% is just information we forget in the first place.


Spatial “Habits of Mind” In Practice, Part I: A Day in the Life of A Spatial Thinker

In previous blog entries, I considered the importance of spatial thinking in education and in society, reasons for the recent increase in attention to it, and how we might conceptualize spatial thinking. According to the Learning To Think Spatially report from the National Research Council, spatially literate people need to have the “habit of mind” of knowing where, when, how, and why to think spatially. In this and the following blog, let’s explore how these habits of mind might manifest themselves in 15 different ways in a typical day in the life of a spatial thinker.

Let’s say your day will include a flight on a commercial airline. [1] You board an airport shuttle that picks you up at your home, and are faced with a spatial task: You must arrange your luggage so that it at the same time conserves space but also allows you to easily pull it out once you arrive at the airport. You also have to take note of its appearance and location relative to the luggage from the other shuttle passengers. Once underway, you drive past a street that is adjoined by many used car lots, apartment buildings that look like they were formerly old motels, and gas stations. [2] Because of this type of land use, you hypothesize that the street was, before the advent of limited access freeways, the main route into your city during the middle decades of the 20th Century. [3] Once on a freeway near the airport, you pass a rest area and wonder how long the typical person spends there, what the typical walking route would be from parking lot to rest area buildings, and what the influence of a visitors center inside the rest area and traveling with a dog might have on the time spent and the route taken by each visitor.

- Joseph Kerski, ESRI Education Manager

Filed under:

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar